Stone Age people knew the Sun brought life on Earth and that is why they used to worship it. The suns rays can heal and destroy, but unfortunately we seem to only hear about the latter nowadays, so i thought i’d redress the balance and give 10 good reasons why to enjoy the sun.
1. The sunlight kills microbes. That’s why it is important to put carpets, blankets and eiderdowns that cannot be washed regularly out in the sun. Exposure to the sun confers the skin a bright, healthy look and increased elasticity making it more resistant to infections and sun burning than an untanned one. Many skin diseases (dermatitis) can be controlled and even cured through controlled exposure to the sun. The sun rays are proven to strengthen the immune system.
2. Due to the sun our mood improves! Sunlight helps in cases of chronic or acute depression, by stimulating the synthesis of endorphins (good-feeling hormones). That’s why we get depressed in the cold and dark days of the winter.
3. The sun is good against insomnia. Daytime exposure to sunlight increases the melatonin production during the night. This hormone helps regulate the sleep.
4. Under the action of the sunlight, the skin synthesizes vitamin D, which makes possible calcium absorption in the intestine, helping the organism grow strong bones. This way the sun prevents rachitis in both children and adults and osteoporosis in elders.
5. As vitamin D and some related compounds impede the development of some cancer cells, we can say the sun fights off this disease. Regular and controlled exposure to the sun has a preventive effect against cancer of colon, breast, leukemia and lymphomas.
6. Exposure to the sun strengthens the cardiovascular system. Blood circulation is improved, the pulse, arterial pressure, moderately high glycemia and cholesterol levels can be normalized.
7. Sun rays improve liver functioning, being effective in treating jaundice.
8. They help the kidneys with a part of their job, as the sun waves favor the elimination of waste products through the skin, when we sweat.
9. The sun also helps losing weight by increasing the metabolic rate through the stimulation of the thyroid. It also eases symptoms of premenstrual syndrome.
10. The sun rays also ease the healing of the swollen joints during peaks of inflammation in cases of arthritis.
So all in all the sun is great! I know when i was younger i loved getting out, riding my bike and climbing trees. Now social pressures (and risks) prevent my children having the freedom we once had, but at least they can have the things we didn’t too – a garden full of outdoor toys, including a climbing frame, playhouse and trampoline.